Sunday, 20 February 2011

Leaning on

“In that day the remnant of Israel and the survivors of the house of Jacob will no more lean upon him that smote them, but will lean upon the Lord, the Holy One of Israel, in truth” (Isaiah 10:20).This passage opened one of our morning readings but it challenges my thinking and the way that we live. We have become dependant on the economic structures of this world, leaning heavily on them and allowing them to dictate our decision making. We fear what will happen without them to dictate our decision making. We fear what will happen without an income source and as a consequence fail to really focus on those things that God is calling us to.

I have reflected on loan aid being given to countries suffering from natural disasters and debates on equality. I have wanted to talk of how loans further cripple and enslave countries and how equality economically is really only the starting point. But we don't have models or the evidence. How is my research in this area progressing? I still haven't made any progress. I haven't followed the threads that I have been given. Why? I have other priorities and a fear how focusing on these things might drive me further away from an ability to earn an income.

I have received calls for contract work that would provide a better income although not a more stable income. I didn't consider them but I could easily have done so. But what would this have done to my focus on the need for economic change. Already, I am struggling to do or live according to my belief system. A giving economy is still just a dream. It isn't our way of living.

We lean on financial support mechanisms and not on God. We don't follow where he leads us but live in fear of economic draught. The challenge of this opening verse is to refocus on God's call and to lean on Him for the resources for daily living.

No comments: