Sunday, 18 May 2008

Photo opportunity

I am finding that going for a ride along the river bank is both a good way to refresh the mind and to locate possible photo opportunities. Often a good photo is all about being in the right place at the right time with your camera.

I fund heading out just before lunch for a ride is a good time both to take a break from the mental processes and to ensure that there is some warmth in the day. Yesterday, I noticed as I rode north through Belmont on the Hutt River bank the sun lighting a cluster of autumn coloured trees on the western hills of the valley. Since I didn't have my camera with me, I just took note so I could return today.

Timing often means that the light is of a certain quality or coming from a particular direction. When I returned today, I was slightly later in the day and the trees were now in shade. Still there are always other photo opportunities and so it turned out.

Using the polarising filter to bring out the colour, I took a series of photos along the river bank facing north east. Ensuring there was some foreground interest added to the shot. It wasn't what I intended to take but it was still worth the trip out.

No comments: